About the Plea Re: about #calibration (VEP-006) : ----> IMPORTANT for DataLInk EXTENDED USAGE

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Oct 13 19:01:52 CEST 2021

Hi again,

I repeat that if TCG has no concern with VEP-006 consequences I will not
block it.

Again I would prefer the rationale (or plea) not be based on wrong
statements as I can read one below

Le 12/10/2021 à 09:16, Markus Demleitner a écrit :

> GENERAL PLEA
> discussions we had on VEP-006; this might have saved some cycles in
> these discussions.  Anyway, if considering to enter the fray, please
> carefully read the following exposition to avoid unnecessary
> repetitions of arguments, and in particular make sure you state where
> you disagree and what your dissenting position is.
>
> You see, VEP-006 isn't a matter of taste, it's fixing a bug.  A bug
> that's currently not biting us, but only because a certain class of
> links hasn't been used yet.

There was no "bug" for #calibration only maybe a too loose definition
for #progenitor (the reason why I proposed #VEP-009) which could
encompass #calibration at first reading.

But nobody would have liked to use #progenitor for "calibration applied"
because #calibration existed   !!!

The previous #calibration definition was using the past tense.

Most of what Markus write below is interesting and clarifies the things
apart that it is only proposing a solution for use case "applicable"

VEP-006 rationale : we have a new use case "calibration-applicable". I
write it's rather "new" because it's related to contexts wher the
services distribute raw data. Which I think was less the case 7 years
ago than, it is now.

VEP-006 : redefine #calibration to match #calibration-applicable

VEP-006 consequences : I'm confident that use cases for
calibration-applied will be implemented very soon (private discussions /
not public at the moment). They could use #calibration. After VEP-006 is
adopted they cannot anymore.

It would have been better to let #calibration as it was and to create
something new for calibration-applicable : there are some difficulties
with that : seem my email last week

IF we admit the change of definition in VEP-006 (which I did already
last week)  what do we do for calibration-applied ?

Extensive discussion has shown that there is great reluctancy in our
groups to use a global #progenitor for that.

As far as I understand it the "complex solution" proposed by Markus is
close to what I called in my email last monday (The 4th) "1 ) the
duplicated tree solution "

It has the drawback to duplicate each child  term of #calibration into
#calibration-applied (or whatever we call it)

Do we want to go to a new VEP for that now ? Or do we have a look to the
other possible solutions I listed in that email ?

Regards

François