Parquet with STIL/STILTS/TOPCAT

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 12:22:47 CET 2021

Hi Mark,

We are using Parquet files to provide the main catalog data for our
Apache Spark science platform.

We currently have copies of Gaia DR2 and eDR3 source catalog, plus
source catalogs from Pan-STARRS, TwoMass and Wise stored as Parquet
files.

Each source catalog maps to a directory of Parquet files.

     6513 Parquet files for the Gaia DR2 source catalog (total 473G
bytes)
    11931 Parquet files for the Gaia source catalog (total 533G bytes)

We haven't looked at publishing data using Parquet yet, but this might
be a valid solution for packaging and copying large data sets in the
future.

Having said that, we would be very interested in using Parquet enabled
versions TopCat and STIL internally to look at and examine individual
Parquet files or collections of multiple files.

Thanks,
-- Dave

--------
Dave Morris