instr.fov in SSAP

Stéphane Erard stephane.erard at obspm.fr
Thu Jul 22 17:18:22 CEST 2021

> Le 20 juil. 2021 à 10:49, Mark Taylor <m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk> a écrit :
>
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2021, Markus Demleitner wrote:
>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>> SSAP 1.1 requires the UCD instr.fov on a few columns (cf. p.66 of
>> https://ivoa.net/documents/SSA/20120210/REC-SSA-1.1-20120210.pdf).
>>
>> Trouble is: By UCDList 1.4, instr.fov is a secondary UCD, so the
>> UCD required by SSA is illegal by UCD.
>>
>> How do we fix this?  I see two ways forward: Either we lift the S
>> restriction on instr.fov. This would sound reasonable to me and
>> obviously many others; here's a few counts from today's
>> rr.table_columns:
>>
>> instr.fov                                 |  198
>> instr.fov;instr.pixel                     | 2475

This one is interesting:
both terms are S and it is apparently useful.

>> phys.angsize;instr.fov                    |  167

Here we have Q and S

It would make sense to accept both
instr.fov;instr.pixel
instr.fov;phys.angsize
in the same order - not depending on units
The simplest way is to define instr.fov as Q, which avoids messing up existing standards

>> pos.angdistance;instr.fov                 |   16
this one looks improper

>> pos.posang;instr.fov                      |   12
And this one looks reversed to me: the main term is FoV, secondary/property is orientation
Same conclusion

Stéphane