ADQL Validation

Gregory MANTELET gregory.mantelet at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Dec 20 19:37:22 CET 2021

Dear ADQL users and developers,

As mentioned in one of our last DAL Running Meeting, I have just
submitted a Pull-Request <https://github.com/ivoa/lyonetia/pull/13> into
the Lyonetia repository <https://github.com/ivoa/lyonetia>. This
Pull-Request proposes an ADQL validator. This validator is developed in
Java and is based on my VOLLT/ADQL library
<https://github.com/gmantele/vollt>.

It validates all queries already listed in the XML files inside the
`src/adql/` directory. I have added here a new one - `ivoa/` - for
service independent queries.

This Pull-Request also adds CI workflows to run the validation process
automatically when a Pull-Request is opened or when commits are pushed
on the `master` branch. 2 badges (i.e. images) have been added at the
top of the README.md file to dynamically change to reflect the status
(passing or failed) of the latest validation process on the `master` branch.

The validation reports /(to be improved)/ are automatically published as
Wiki pages. I invite you to look at what it would currently look like:
https://github.com/gmantele/lyonetia/wiki
<https://github.com/gmantele/lyonetia/wiki>

If this Pull-Request is accepted, the idea would be that some of you
contributes by adding ADQL queries that, according to the PR-ADQL-2.1
document, must be valid.

Ideally, such queries should be collected in the `src/ivoa/` directory
as it is not associated to any existing TAP/ADQL service. The validator
is recursive ; so, sub-directories are perfectly allowed for a cleaner
organization. Currently the validator runs on all queries inside
`src/adql/` (hence the numerous failures you can see in the report
below, because they works only on dedicated services), but if all
interesting queries are later in `src/adql/ivoa/`, we should limit the
validator workflows to this latter.

Of course, all of that is just a proposal. Any suggestion and discussion
is welcome. Discussion is then open either in this email thread or in
the discussion thread of my Pull-Request :
https://github.com/ivoa/lyonetia/pull/13
<https://github.com/ivoa/lyonetia/pull/13>

Merry Christmas to all of you,

Grégory

PS: I will probably be more quiet than usual in January. So don't be
surprise if I don't answer (quickly) during that time.