The product-type vocabulary

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 14:49:09 CET 2021

Hiya,

Why treat events differently to spectra and images ?

On 2021-12-16 13:18, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> .... since I consider a
> difference between identifier and label less desirable than the
> slight awkwardness of having "Event" mean "a collection of [...]
> events", I've already committed it (volute rev. 6063).

> In that vein, "event"
> (that I'm rather sure would in general refer to files containing
> quite a few event*s*) probably should have been called
> event-collection in obscore.

If we follow that pattern then we should register SIAP and SSAP as
'image-collection' and 'spectrum-collection' ?

A SIAP service is registered with product-type 'image' even though it
returns a file containing a list of one or more (possibly many)
image(s).

A SSAP service is registered with product-type 'spectrum' and returns a
file containing a list of one or more (possibly many) spectrum(s).

If we follow this pattern, a service that returns a list (or stream) of
one or more (possibly many) event(s) should be registered with
product-type 'event'.

The vocabularies should be consistent. The easiest (and most portable)
is to base everything on the singular not plural form.

If you want to keep the plural terms for eventS and measurementS, and
you also want to keep the singular terms for image, spectra and
visibility, then to be consistent, add both the singular and plural
terms for all of them.

     event
     events
     measurement
     measurements
     image
     images
     spectrum
     spectra
     visibility
     visibilities

I do NOT recommend this, but it is consistent.

> .... Having said that, I'd say plural
> nouns in *descriptions* may be a good idea ("a collection of
> events").

To be consistent, should the description of the others also be updated
to "collection of images" and "collection of spectra" ?

I agree we probably should support plural form in the human interfaces.
People will want to search for "images", "spectra" and "events", but
that probably involves a separate stage of pre-processing to convert the
human form into the standard (singular) vocabulary term.

Cheers,
-- Dave

--------
Dave Morris