VEP-011: datalink/core#thumbnail

ada nebot ada.nebot at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Dec 2 13:57:13 CET 2021

Hi Markus,

I wonder what the difference between preview and thumbnail is. In other words: when is one used against the other? when is a small preview considered a thumbnail? Also, does it make any real difference in the behaviour of a client?

I call thumbnails to small things, but are previews of finding charts for instance thumbnails? For instance, do ZTF or LSST reference images (in whatever format) belong to this category?

I see that preview is parent of thumbnail so I guess it is up to the data providers to use one or the other and for the client it doesn’t make much of a difference, right?

Cheers,
Ada