TAP upload type roundtripping

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 18:29:26 CEST 2021

The adql:TIMESTAMP xtype is the legacy of TAP-1.0 and I consider it
equivalent to DALI "timestamp" (in the context of TAP, DALI xtypes are used
more widely than that). So to me any s/w would be justified in converting
from the legacy value to the equivalent DALI value. That would (with
DALI-1.2) apply to adql:REGION and DALI "shape" whenever that moves
forward. I would consider converting from a DALI xtype back to a legacy
xtype to be incorrect behaviour: if the s/w knows they are equivalent then
it knows the DALI xtype is preferred (caveat: we may not have made that
clear in DALI, in which case we should add some text to the DALI-1.2 WD...
I don't think that's a controversial stand).

For an unrecognized xtype, it should be preserved exactly.

If I recall, our TAP services probably behave in about the same way, but if
they do happen to preserve adql:TIMESTAMP it would be an implementation
detail and probably not even my intent. I will check. I do know that our
tap_upload does not correctly preserve timestamp values (UTC vs local tz
issue in the insert). That's a bug.

Victoria, BC, Canada