Working Draft - Simple Cone Search, v.1.1 2020-08-28 - released

Molinaro, Marco marco.molinaro at inaf.it
Thu Sep 10 16:07:16 CEST 2020

Hi Markus,

Il giorno mer 2 set 2020 alle ore 17:09 Markus Demleitner <
msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> ha scritto:

> Hi Marco,
>
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 09:49:41AM +0200, Molinaro, Marco wrote:
> > Still I have a small concern about MAXREC=0 reading DALI-1.1
> > section 3.4.4, second half of it.
> > It seems that
> > - or we clearly state that MAXREC=0 in ConeSearch should avoid
> > request execution (because there's a risk of failure there)
> > - or we touch slightly DALI avoiding MAXREC=0 to fail
> >
> > I'd say the first is simpler and safer, but, in both cases, since
> > DALI simply says "containing metadata" without any further detail,
> > there's the need to detail the metadata response solution.
>
> Well, I understand that in general it's a good idea to improve
> robustness by cutting down on dependencies, but in this case I'd say
> the win is negligible: A client requesting MAXREC=0 probably does
> that because in the next step it wants to run an actual query.  If
> that later query fails, nothing is won if MAXREC=0 succeeded.

Agreed, I didn't think about this scenario.

> The only scenario I could see where a more robust MAXREC=0 operation
> might improve things is for metadata harvesting.  But there I'd say
> we shouldn't do that through SCS anywey -- we have the Registry,
> vs:ParamHTTP, and OAI-PMH for that kind of thing, and if there's
> anything missing from that combo that MAXREC=0 can do, we ought to
> fix the combo rather than harden MAXREC=0.
>
> So: +1 for just referencing DALI, plus regulations on how the input
> parameters should be represented.  For that second part, I'm a bit
> undecided: We could copy what SIAP and SSAP do -- works, but feels a
> bit stuffy --, or we could borrow from Datalink and have the input
> parameters in a dedicated GROUP of a separate, non-result, RESOURCE
> (which is a bit less hacky, but of course different from S*AP).

I suppose the only way to go is try.
Currently I'd be more inclined towards borrowing from DataLink,
also because IIRC SIAP there was v.1 and SSAP might need an update.

However I haven't a clear view nor a strong opinion.

Cheers
    Marco

--
Marco Molinaro
INAF - Istituto Nazionale di AstroFisica
email marco.molinaro at inaf.it
tel. +39 040 3199 152