[VEP-0001] DataLink semantics vocabulary enhacement proposal

Laurent MICHEL laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Oct 22 12:21:50 CEST 2019

Hi,

I agree that we must be careful not to put anything in the VO
vocabulary, and that the endorsed vocabulary must correspond to concrete
use-cases.

In fact, the VEP0001 list is compliant with this policy since it just
sets a list of science products currently used in astronomy and then
potentially tagged with VO vocabulary.

If a too fine vocabulary can lost clients, the same is true for a too
coarse level. Question of trade-off.
Typically, the "associated-timeseries" is too coarse, since it just tell
that the associated data-set is set of (timestamp + anything) points.
Telling more about what "anything" is will obviously help the clients.
Let's take my use case. The GRB monitor (SVOM) I'm working on will
deliver TS of spectra. I suppose that generalist clients as Splat would
be happy to be notified that this dataset must not be plot as a simple
light curve.

Cheers
LM

--
---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---