[VEP-0002] DataLink semantics vocabulary enhacement proposal = new DataDocumentation term

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Oct 21 12:00:06 CEST 2019

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 06:21:24PM +0200, François Bonnarel wrote:
> Another new term proposed (originally by alberto micol)

While uploading it to http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core, I took
the liberty of editing a bit to better fit the existing vocabulary
and have the description work a bit better.  I've also started to
summarise the discussions that have taken place on the wiki before:

https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/semantics/veps/VEP0002.txt

It's now:

documentation: Extra information on the item in human-readable text form,
  ranging from processing logs to weather reports to technical documents
  on instruments to related publications.

It should hit http://ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core/
real soon now.

François: If you think I overdid it with the streamlining, by all
means complain.

As I'm mentioning under Discussion, what I consider a bit weak with
the term is what a client is supposed to do with rows annotated in
this way.

For observation logs and weather reports, I'd say that would be
"display together with any calibration data"; that's essentially the
debugging use case.

If Carlos wants to link "associated" publications, that's pretty
certainly not debugging, except if it's technical publication on,
say, a code or a spectrograph; but those probably should be confined
to a reference URL or so in the first place and not be in datalink
documents, right?

So, let's assume this is about a publication derived from the
observation in question: Where and how would a client display that?
It's pretty clear to me that this doesn't belong to "debugging".
It's more, well, "show me what happened later", as in progenitor.

So -- given these two use cases, perhaps we need

* generation-document (perhaps as a child of calibration or progenitor?)
  and
* derivation-document (as a child of derivation),

in both cases stressing that it's human-readable struff?

        -- Markus

And again: if you reply, I'd suggest to limit the distribution to
dal at ivoa.net.