Coordinate system in ADQL

gilles landais gilles.landais at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Oct 17 15:25:50 CEST 2019

Dear IVOA members !

Following the last IVOA meeting and about the new ADQL version.

Coordinate System had been deprecated from the ADQL region. This
capability was may be not very used, and was may be ambiguous. However
to change the coordinate system was used in VizieR.

Moreover, there is not today a pivot coordinate system used for all
tables in all data-centers. I am agree that coordinate System could be
an option, but in my opinion, to remove it without any alternatives will
impoverish ADQL.

If coordinate system in option is rejected, we could also add a function
such as the function proposed by Markus in Gavo to make possible the
change of coordinate System:

gavo_transform(from_sys TEXT, to_sys TEXT, geo GEOMETRY) -> GEOMETRY

So, I ask IVOA people to consider this capability as a ADQL standard (as
a function - may be optional).

Regards,

Gilles Landais (CDS)