[VEP-003]: datalink/core#sibling

ada nebot ada.nebot at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Dec 6 14:45:30 CET 2019

Hi All,

As I see it, the things we are discussing concerning Datalink fall into 4 independent levels or categories:
Level 0 - Data-format (fits, VOTable, PDF, png, …)
Level 1 - Data-type (tabular, image, spectrum, cube, text, …)
Level 2 - Data-information (Documentation, Calibration, Log, Preview, …)
Level 3 - Data-relation (Derived from, Progenitor of, Sibling of, ...)

I see these as orthogonal levels since a **list of links** can be of any type (level 1) with any kind of format (level 0),
any kind of relation (level 3) and could have any type of associated information to describe it (level 2).

Today the list of links returned by datalink is described in the columns content-type and semantics.
These two columns cover the above levels only up to some degree.
- Semantics: covers level 2 mainly (e.g. preview), but also level 3 (e.g. derivation, progenitor).

Datalink at the moment has no field properly covering level 1 and applications (—> users) would benefit from having that well covered.

So, in my opinion, if I had to redo Datalink I would keep these different levels separated instead of putting everything into the semantics field.
But applications might have a different point of view here —> Shouldn't we add Apps to this discussion?

Timeseries would be in level 3, since it is a relation. And I don’t think we would need the use of sibling or progenitor or anything like that for timeseries.
What we need is to be able to say is:
- This list of links are timeseries of tabular type
- This list of links are timeseries of spectrum type
…

But if were to add terms such as sibling and so on, there is already an IVOA relationship vocabulary:
http://ivoa.net/rdf/voresource/relationship_type/2016-08-17/relationship_type.html <http://ivoa.net/rdf/voresource/relationship_type/2016-08-17/relationship_type.html>

Comments?

Cheers,
Ada

--
Astronome Adjointe
CDS, Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg (ObAS)