TAP 1.1 authentication

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:49:57 CEST 2018

On duplicating the VOSI-capabilities deployment: sure you can do that but
it makes the service deployment more complicated and means service
providers have to write more tests to verify their service is working
correctly. And when they register the service in an IVOA registry, which
accessURL do they put? Obviously any would do since they are redundant, but
someone has to document that and people have to understand that. It's
smelly and it is not in the spirit of the DALI sibling rule which is that
service endpoints are flat and not heirarchical.

On describing VOSI endpoints in the VOSI-capabilities doc: for services in
general you need to do it because VOSI-availability is optional and has an
arbitrary accessURL, VOSI-tables is optional (and there are use cases for
both anon and auth). I agree that the VOSI-capabilities capability in the
document is redundant (you know the url because you git the document) but
that capability *does* have to be in the IVOA registry so we always just
include it  in the doc for completeness (heh - tap_schema describes itself,
gcc in written in C, so why not here :-)

I will think about and respond to the main point. separately.

Pat

Victoria, BC, Canada