TAP v1.1 - little request

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu May 3 22:57:54 CEST 2018

Alberto,

I don't want to talk for DAL on this, but let me note that it is
quite legal to include extra columns beyond the TAP-specified ones
in the TAP_SCHEMA tables.  So with the existing TAP 1.0 (or TAP 1.1)
there's nothing to stop you adding a doc_url (or whatever) column
to TAP_SCHEMA.tables.  Moreover if you do this, TOPCAT at least
will display this information to the user.  As an example,
the ARI-Gaia service (ivo://uni-heidelberg.de/gaia/tap) has
a non-standard column row_count in TAP_SCHEMA.tables, and
you can see the content of this in the Table tab of topcat's
TAP window - see the attached screenshot.  I wonder if adding
a non-standard column in this way, without requiring any change
to the standard, would be sufficient for what you want to do.

Also, there are no "optional" columns in the TAP_SCHEMA tables,
so adding one could be considered disruptive.  Some of the
columns are permitted to contain nulls though.

Mark