TAP questions

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Mar 7 10:09:00 CET 2018

Dear DAL,

On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 10:57:02AM +0000, Mark Taylor wrote:
> ACTION:
> ------
> I therefore believe a fix is required to TAP 1.1: sec 2.3.6 should
> make it clear that VOTable support is mandatory (and possibly that
> CSV is a SHOULD for compatibility with TAP 1.0), and that VOTable is
> the default output format when FORMAT/RESPONSEFORMAT parameter is
> not explicitly specified.

Mark is, of course, completely right.  In Volute rev. 4798 2.7.3 now
reads (new text in [[ ]]):

  The RESPONSEFORMAT parameter is fully described in DALI. For
  backwards compatibility, TAP-1.1 must also accept the FORMAT
  parameter as equivalent to RESPONSEFORMAT.  [[Specifying both FORMAT
  and RESPONSEFORMAT is undefined.

  If both the FORMAT and RESPONSEFORMAT parameters are omitted, the
  default format is VOTable.  A TAP service must support VOTable as an
  output format, should support CSV and TSV output, and may support other
  formats.]]

The language about what happens with FORMAT and RESPONSEFORMAT at the
same time may be tacky.  Throw it out if you don't like it.

The rest is essentially the text from TAP 1.0 adapted to the
FORMAT-and-RESPONSEFORMAT-world of TAP 1.1.

Thanks, Mark, for spotting this in time.

          -- Markus