Polygon CCW winding check request

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 20:19:31 CEST 2018

The intent of DALI was that the butterfly polygon is not valid. We didn't
say it explicitly and maybe should have.

More generally, the DALI xtype="polygon" is a simple polygon (convex or
concave) with no crossing segments. We had to decide between picking a
winding direction or for the polygon to be limited to less that half the
sphere. At the Capetown interop the decision was to pick CCW winding
direction and that definition went into DALI-1.1.

Pat

PS-In my experience, that construct was always a bug in the polygon
generation s/w

PPS-Anyone using postgresql+pgsphere should note that winding direction
doesn't matter for spoly because that library chose the "less than half the
sphere" definition

Victoria, BC, Canada