Polygon CCW winding check request

Francois-Xavier PINEAU francois-xavier.pineau at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Jun 13 10:05:41 CEST 2018

Dear Marco, DAL,

I may be wrong, but I think that the STC definition of the inside of a
polygon is not compatible with "complex" shapes.

Example: if we take the case of a simple 4 vertices's polygon having a
butterfly shape (i.e. having two crossing great-circle arcs), then the
inside of one "wing" is in the counter-clockwise sense while the inside
of the other "wing" is in the clockwise sense.

How to deal easily with such a case while remaining compatible with the
STC definition?

A polygon is just a sequence of vertices with great-circle arcs
connecting the consecutive vertices (plus the last vertex connection the
first one).

The great-circle arc connecting two vertices's is the smallest of the
two complementary great-arcs (and hence is always <= pi (we have a
degeneracy with vertices having an angular separation of pi)).

There is no ambiguity on the inside and we have fast implementations for
polygons having possibly very complex shapes (ray-tracing method).

It is true that then the definition does not allow to describe the
"exterior" (the complement on the sphere) of a polygon as being itself a
polygon. Is it a problem in practice?

 From my (biased) point-of-view, it is more important to support complex
polygons (with a simple and fast algorithm), and to possibly ask for an
extra boolean parameter in use cases requiring the complement of a polygon.

Do you agree / disagree?

Kind regards,

François-Xavier