TAP-1.1 columns.column_index info

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Wed Jan 17 08:35:39 CET 2018

Dear Tom,

tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov>:

> Dear Marco,
>
> This seems a bit of a kludge but I think that's inevitable since
> there are two separate questions that you are trying to answer with one
> field:
>    Whether the column should be shown by default? [or maybe some less
> binary column priority]

this is solve, in my view, in adding or not the column
into the TAP_SCHEMA itself, so no problem there.

>    If it is shown in what order should it be shown?

and this is what the column_index was introduced
for in TAP-1.1. I'm chatting on: if I don't put integers
in column_index for all my columns, is this an issue?
How do clients react to this.

Mark's answer was fine to me, however...

> We frequently run into cases where a column is not a default column, but
> it is still
> useful to talk about how it should be ordered when it is displayed --
> usually in
> relation to some other column.  E.g., you might not show the errors in some
> quantity by default, but if the errors are shown, then you probably want
> them to
> show up immediately after the quantities they are the errors for. Or you
> might not show
> galactic coordinates by default, but when you do you want the longitude and
> latitude to be next to each other.
>
> Internally at the HEASARC use a very similar metadata to TAP, but rather
> than using nulls to define
> the 'secondary' columns, we use negative values.  Negative values are
> ignored
> by default, but if the user requests to see all columns, then we order by
> the absolute value.  This means that when using default only default
> columns
> the order values generally have gaps, i.e., the default columns might have
> ordering 1,2,4,6,10  where the gaps would be filled if the user requested
> all columns.
>
> I admit this is also a kludge.  The 'correct' solution (IMO) would be to
> have these
> two distinct pieces of information separated into separate metadata
> fields, but that's probably
> too much change for too little benefit.

this idea of "overloading" the ordering using
abs(column_index) vs. only_positive(column_index)
is interesting.

What let's me concerned is that this is application
dependent: i.e. it won't work in all clients.
Do you know how topcat sees it, e.g.?
Does it put the negative values on top?

For sure, if people likes this or a similar
solution to allow nested-ordering using
column_index, we'll need to put some
words into the spec to be sure we all
use the same hacks.

To address your actual question, I think the loss of the ability to suggest
> an order to non-default fields
> is non-trivial, but presumably where it causes problems for users they can
> make sure to specify an explicit order.

I agree on this latter.

Cheers,
    Marco