TAP-1.1 columns.column_index info

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Fri Jan 12 15:49:40 CET 2018

Dear DAL/Apps-ers,
in updating the TASMAN TAP_SCHEMA manager application,
on the way to let the app user decide the column ordering
(i.e. filling up the TAP_SCHEMA.columns.column_index values)
we are going the following way: let the user define ordering on
the important/preferred columns while leaving "unordered" the
other columns.

That is: we may have a bunch of NULLs alongside integers as the
column_index values.

TAP-1.1 latest revision is not preventing this.
My only question is: will applications be OK with this?

The intent is to have the NULL-annotated-column_index
columns fall (potentially) unordered after the ordered
ones when rendered into the client.

Comments?

Cheers,
    Marco