ADQL: Bitwise operators

Ger van Diepen diepen at astron.nl
Thu Feb 15 08:08:55 CET 2018

Hi Markus,

I agree that the bitwise operators should have the same precedence as In C, etc. I’ve implemented them that way in TaQL.
I do not understand why it should be so much work to change the precedence of operators in existing code. If a tool such as flex/bison is used, it is really trivial. I assume similar tools exist for Java.

Also note the precedence of OR and AND. I don’t know how it is defined in ADQL, but normally AND has a higher precedence than OR which many people do not realise. Therefore many compilers give a warning if AND and OR are used without parentheses. Probably the same could be done for bitwise operators.

On another note.
I’ve never understood why function names (in SQL and ADQL) have to be reserved words; in principle it makes it impossible (in a backward compatible way) to add new functions because somewhere columns with such names could exist. Every parser (with 1 look-ahead) should be able to distinguish between a column name and a function name using the subsequent opening parenthesis.

Cheers,
Ger