TAP 1.1 authentication

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 19:14:52 CEST 2018

In our case, authentication allows for a variety of more subtle things to
happen. In most  of our tap services:

- authenticated users can use a custom param to send output to a vospace
- authenticated users may be able to see rows which have restricted access
(some telescopes have proprietary metadata)
- authenticated users can make use of the UWS job listing feature (we only
let people list their own jobs)

In our catalogue tap service some tables are public and some are
proprietary so:

- authenticated users see additoonal tables they have access to
- vospace outout as above
- job listing as above

In principle, people could have private VOTable(s) in vospace and use them
via TAP_UPLOAD as well; that requires authentication (so the tap job can
retrieve the table).

We've been down the road of trying to have multiple resources in the past;
the main issue is that it is more confusing to users because they have to
pick the right resource --  the VOSI capabilities approach already works
fine and the details of auth only really effect s/w devs. There is just an
"itchy bit" because the TAP capability is not exactly a single thing. It is
one kind of "job" that is executable with two different "invocation
patterns". I think we have come down to a mechanism that makes sense,
maintains compatibility, an works programmatically, and hides as much of
the auth details from the user as possible.

Victoria, BC, Canada