TAP 1.1 authentication

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 01:19:47 CEST 2018

I am in the process of re-wording the text about auth and UWSRegExt and
while I was at it I made  a comment in the TAP11 RFC page concerning auth
endpoints in a TAP service in response to Mark's idea of thinking of
"bundles" of resources. I include it here as well for discussion:

These items from my DAL mailing list post of 2018-06-13 is the primary
obstacle to this bundle concept:

2. DALI <http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DALI>-1.1 specifies
(Section 2) that all endpoints in a service must be siblings of the
VOSI-capabilities resource (except VOSI-availability); further, DALI
<http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DALI> also specifies that the
capabilities resource must be named /capabilities (relative to the base).

3. VOSI-1.1 specifies that VOSI-capabilities must be provided with
anonymous access and such capabilities must not include a securityMethod

So, you have a base URL and a single anonymous child {baseURL}/capabilities
and all the TAP endpoints (eg sync and async query execution) have to be
siblings of that (i.e. direct children of {baseURL}). That is just a flat
list of interfaces and can't be presented as a bundle with current VOSI.
Somewhat ironically, before that DALI
<http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DALI>-1.1 restriction the CADC
TAP service used to place the username/password auth endpoints under a
"subdirectory", so it used to be /tap/auth/sync and /tap/auth/async and now
it is /tap/auth-sync and /tap/auth-async so everything is a sibling of
/tap/capabilities... that is quite natural from a service deployment point
of view and more or less conforms to the bundle and defaults approach
described above. But the community thought it was a good idea to be able to
navigate(?) from any endpoint to the capabilities endpoint. Either (flat or
bundle) works fine if you use the capabilities the way that our
cadc-registry client lib does (it is just cosmetic). But: the only way to
go the bundle way is for TAP-1.1 to violate DALI
<http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DALI>-1.1 and/or retract that bit
from DALI <http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DALI> (admit mistake;
issue erratum).
Victoria, BC, Canada