TAP-1.1 PR is now available

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Sep 12 09:31:57 CEST 2017

Hi DAL,

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 11:48:59AM -0700, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> I agree that it would be nice for citations in the text to have a nice
> short name and I guess I could just manually type it before the
> \citep... maybe that's what I am supposed to do. Markus? And I could
> reduce the number of times I use \citep to 1 per major section (the
> first).

Well, in ivoatexDoc, I've written this:
http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/IVOATex/20160430/NOTE-ivoatexDoc-1.1-20160430.html#tth_sEc3.3.2

So, *my* preference is to introduce a spec's short name once with a
citep (and probably once before that in the "Role in the VO" section)
and then just use that short name in the rest of the text.  But I
won't argue with repeating the introduction of the acronym per
section, say.

However, when the citation actually has a syntactic role ("As pointed
out by \citet{whatever}..."), you should always use citet (t as in
text) in rather than citep (p as in parenthesis) in natbib-derived
citation formats.  That then comes out as "As pointed out by Foo and
Bar (1978)...", which at least people in astronomy will find more
pleasant.

If you, Pat, don't really care, I'm happy to adjust the TAP text
accordingly.

      -- Markus