Arrays of geometries?

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Sep 5 13:24:55 CEST 2017

Dear DAL,

While implementing DALI 1.1 with a view to TAP 1.1, one of my test
cases lead to the encoding of a 2-array of points to a

<FIELD datatype="float" arraysize="2x2" xtype="point"...>

This made me realise that, as far as I can see, it's unclear what
that means by DALI.  And it leads to the more fundamental question of
whether xtype amends the datatype -- which would support such usage
-- or whether it amends (datatype, arraysize) -- which probably would
outlaw things like these.

So:

Is anyone strongly in favour of such usage?  Note that another,
perhaps more common, use case is arrays of timestamps, which *could*
play a role in certain time series serialisations?

...or is anyone strongly opposed to it?

Either way, I think it's one of these corner cases where we should
somehow agree upon a policy.  Should xtype+array be allowed?
Forbidden?  Undefined at this point?

          -- markus