prototype TAP-1.1 service

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 21:38:19 CEST 2017

I have finished work on updating the main CADC TAP service with the
updated datatypes from DALI-1.1 and latest modified tap_chema from
WD-TAP-1.1.

In this demo service you will find use of:

* ivoa.ObsCore.s_region and caom2.Plane.position_bounds;

    datatype="double" arraysize="*" xtype="polygon"

* caom2.Plane.energy_bounds and caom2.Plane.time_bounds:

    datatype="double" arraysize=2" xtype="interval"

* arrays of intervals in caom2.Plane.energy_bounds_samples and
caom2.Plane.time_bounds_samples:

    datatype="double" arraysize=2x*" xtype="interval"

* timestamps in all tables:

    datatype="char" arraysize="*" xtype="timestamp" (many uses)

There are still some custom xtypes (uuid and uri at least) that could
be prefixed if no one else is interested in such things... for now
unprefixed. I may also have some use of "clob" xtype to indicate that
some columns can only be selected (TBD).

** the base url for this demo service is

http://demo.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/tap

Note that the documentation at the base URL has not been updated to
reflect any of the changes. The content is the same as out production
services and in fact uses the same server/database so it is feasible
to implement multiple versions in the same database.

** The VOSI-capabilities describes the endpoints:

http://demo.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/tap/capabilities

** The VOSI-tables (1.1) endpoint uses only VOTable types and I found
no need to use any of the TAP-specific types defined in VODataService:

http://demo.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/tap/tables

I am confident that the latter could be deprecated and eventually dropped.

While I'm not sure there are no bugs, I am sure that the update is
complete. I'm also pretty sure that the table UPLOAD facility can
accept both old-style and new-style VOTable input (tabledata only;
binary is on my TODO list) but there could still be some bugs  in that
bit because there are alot of different ways t do things.

Victoria, BC, Canada