Mapping of TAP_SCHEMA.columns.principal to SCS VERB

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Tue Oct 10 08:34:14 CEST 2017

Hi Walter,

> Marco Molinaro <molinaro at oats.inaf.it> wrote:
> > So, there's no intention, I think, to make it map VERB or trying to set
> > up a set of levels of principal, it's simply a flag to declare a column
> as
> > a special one among others.
>
> In that case, is it good to have 3 levels in SCS?  It seems odd to
> have extra control available in SCS that is not in TAP.

I think that VERB is different from principal.

VERB is meant to roughly tailor the number of columns
in response, plus it's an optional parameter.

Principal is a flag attribute to single columns and it is
a mandatory field in TAP_SCHEMA.columns.

So, I don't know how to compare them.

Are you suggesting something like:
- VERB=3 -> answer all principal=1 or 0
- VERB=1 -> answer with principal=1 only
- VERB=2 -> up to the service
?

That could be a good choice if you run SCS
as capability over TAP, but it's a data provider
choice, not something to be mandated (and,
BTW, VERB is exactly this, leave the server side
the choice of columns to return, only asking for
minimal, default, maximum/all available ones).

My view of course.

Cheers,
     Marco