width and precision in TAP_SCHEMA.columns

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Tue Oct 10 08:22:23 CEST 2017

Hi Walter, all,

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Looking at the list of VOTable FIELD attributes
>
>   http://www.ivoa.net/documents/VOTable/20130920/REC-VOTable-
> 1.3-20130920.html#ToC25
>
> they mostly map straight to columns in TAP_SCHEMA.columns.  Two
> significant exceptions are width and precision.  Maybe we should add
> those?  We can always get it by doing a null query, but it seems like
> something that should be in TAP_SCHEMA.columns.

While trying to have a unique datatype system for the VO
is the reason why types in TAP_SCHEMA and ADQL are
being aligned to VOTable, I don' think that all of the
VOTable features for FIELDS and PARAMs should go into
TAP_SCHEMA.

So, for me, width and precision are optional worthy
parameters to a VOTable response, but are not
exactly what a TAP_SCHEMA should hold.

That said, no one will block custom columns in a
TAP_SCHEMA, and also, if you have a use case
that uses those attributes, please implement them
and show what the benefits are.

Cheers,
    Marco