Mapping of TAP_SCHEMA.columns.principal to SCS VERB

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Tue Oct 10 07:52:30 CEST 2017

Hi Walter,
taking freely from latest TAP PR (work in progress), but the concepts
remain the same as the ones in TAP-1.0:

==
The principal, indexed, and std columns are boolean values implemented
as integers. As such, the value must be 0 or 1; no other values are allowed.

The principal flag indicates that the column is considered a core part
of the content; clients can use this hint to make the principal column(s)
visible, for example by selecting them by default in generating an ADQL
query. In cases where the service selects the columns to return (such as a
query language without an explicit output selection), the principal column
indicates those columns that are returned by default.
==

So, there's no intention, I think, to make it map VERB or trying to set
up a set of levels of principal, it's simply a flag to declare a column as
a special one among others.

Cheers,
    Marco