xmin/xmax in postgres-based TAP services?

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 23:39:08 CET 2017

I agree that TAP services probably have to deal with this via column
renaming; I already do that with upload table names and have code to
rename columns so it isn't much of a stretch to do it all the time.

On validators: there are a lot of edge cases that services may not be
able to handle correctly or figure out. As long as the request fails
with a suitable error message and code I don't think that is reason
for a validator to declare it non-compliant. Sure, there are queries
all services should support (select * from tap_schema.tables) so some
test queries may be more compliance-mandating than others... For
example, I personally think that anyone using DISTINCT is just lazy so
I could put that word in my black list or maybe only allow it for
columns with a known finite set of values. That probably should not
make my service invalid. There are a wide range of quality-of-service
choices implementors make in figuring out which things to put effort
into making work and which to ignore... I don't think we can/should
make those decisions for them.

Pat

Victoria, BC, Canada