DataLink inputParam PARAM/@value

Carlos Rodrigo crb at cab.inta-csic.es
Fri Nov 17 11:06:41 CET 2017

Hi again

In practice, trying to define how to build a meaningful interface (let's say, a form) just using a
"metadata" response has several subleties when we really think of real cases.

The first one is this one pointed by Mark. If a non-empty VALUE is provided for a param, how it must
be understood? Does it make sense to provide a non-empty VALUE and also a VALUES element? if it
does, which is the meaning?

But you can think of some others. For instance, does the service allow for a range or a list of
values for a given parameter? or even, for a text field, can I use wildcards for that field?

You can think of simpler alternatives for all that. But, when we defined S3 (that tried to deal with
these problems) we thought of a way to specify these options (you can take a look to a summary at
http://svo2.cab.inta-csic.es/theory/docs2/index.php?pname=S3/Interface just for some ideas)

The main idea was to write param names not just as "INPUT:param" but "INPUT:param[:options]" where
the :options part was optional and could specify some restricted list of possible options for that
param to understand how to handle it.

for instance,

<param name="INPUT:COLLECTION:fixed" value="ALL">
would work as "the value for "COLLECTION is "ALL", and you must pass it like that to the service,
not ask the user for a value.

but, instead:
<param name="INPUT:COLLECTION" value="ALL">
would mean that the default value for COLLECTION is "ALL", but you can ask the user to input a
different value. If there is a VALUES element you can use it to build a better form.

This was a simple way to allow for machine client to distinguish when a param should be filled or
not. And it allowed for other options.

We allowed for {range,list,fixed} as possible properties after the ":". And "wildcards" could we
another one.

If you don't like to introduce such syntax/flexibility (I would bet that Markus would hate it ;) I
would say that, for the current question:

if a non empty VALUE is provided:
- if there is a VALUES child element, this field should be filled in a form.
- if there is not a VALUES child element, this param is fixed and it must be passed by the form with
that value fixed (let's say, as a hidden field)

what's more, if VALUES provide real information:
- if VALUES->MIN/MAX you just, for instance, include some text giving information of the MIN/MAX
values allowed.
- if VALUES type="actual" and there are non-empty OPTIONs as childs, you make some select field with
all the possible options
- if VALUES type="actual" and there are NOT non-empty OPTIONs as childs, it must be understood that
the param should be filled (because there is a VALUES child element) but its content is free
(because you don't have options to show)

That's my understanding of all this

Carlos