ADQL Erratum 2

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Tue May 30 08:46:09 CEST 2017

Dear all,
this part of the erratum 2 was simply meant to align what BNF says
to what the description in the table says.
It was my understanding that, independently of the errors in the BNF
grammar, the BNF should have been trusted in this case, when
saying that x is an optional argument to rand, but leaving
unspecified what the backend actually does with that seed.

Now, I understand that different backends act differently, and that
the usage of the seed value itself is quite confused/confusing,
but if we go too far, we may slip out of the context for an erratum.

So, if we accept only the "optional" addition to the description, we
may or not harm users but we actually explicit an erratum (and
ADQL is currently under revision, so we can bring the remaining
clarification in the new revision).

If we think that adding that "optional" is useless as an erratum, we
can simply remove that part of the erratum.

Personally I would vote for the first, but it's only my opinion.

Cheers,
    Marco