IVOA VOTable signature issue

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Mon Mar 27 10:27:21 CEST 2017

Dear DAL-ers & Apps-ers,

<francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr>:
> Hi Pierre, all,
>
> 1 ) Having the standardID of the protocol in an INFO tag of the response is
> definitely a good idea.

Regarding this topic, Pierre lighted a discussion at last week's
ASTERICS DADI Tech Forum.
The general opinion was that it's a good idea indeed, and that an INFO
element (as a <votable>
child) could take care of this information.

Some hesitation whether this info should be <resource> related was
expressed, but it seems
that, for now at least something like:

<info name="STANDARD_ID" value="ivo://ivoa.net/TAP"/>

may be ok.

Now, while looking at DALI-1.1, I realized that it's already there
(§4.4.3) and it's there since DALI-1.0.

The changes to make would be
- move it from a MAY clause into some more robust recommendation (not
a MUST, of course)
- define if it should be "standardID" (as it is now in the text) or
"STANDARD_ID",
   as proposed by Markus following the QUERY_STATUS format
- consider if we have to move that <info> from being child of
<resource> (DALI-1.1 currently)
  to a child of <votable> directly

Your opinions welcome, also considering that DALI-1.1 is in RFC.

Cheers,
    Marco