[timeDomain: model for Time series] discussion on Timeseries Data model Note / how are ND-Cube DM and Timeseries DM connected ?

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Jul 13 23:51:32 CEST 2017

Hi Jiri,
    Thanks for having given a look to these emails. This is a very
important discussion and we have to all agree on these grounds before
going to more TimeSeries specific features of the model we need.
Le 13/07/2017 à 15:02, Jiří Nádvorník a écrit :

> Hi Mireille,
>
> Thank you very much for the input.
>
> Your diagram is almost correct, but I believe that the relationship
>
> TimeSeriesCube  <is a > NDCubeDM::SparseCubeDataset
>
> Is not correct, even in the original idea Mark Cresitello Ditmar had
> (please correct me here if I’m wrong, Mark). The correct relationship is:
>
> TimeSeriesCube <is a> NDCubeDM::SparseCube and
>
> NDCubeDM::SparseCube <is collected by> NDCubeDM::SparseCubeDataset
>
> As seen on the following image:
>
> Meaning that the SparseCubeDataset is describing a collection of data
> cubes, e.g., time series data, e.g., light curves, **not** one cube,
> e.g., one time series, e.g., one light curve. If we agree that we
> don’t need collections of time series (because they can by themselves
> be multi-dimensional), we can change it to <is a> relationship as you
> propose.

OK. This is were we differ. I don't think SparSecubedataset is made for
tackling collections. My interpretation of the ND-Cube diagram helped by
MCD' text is that SparSeCubeDataset inheritance from ObsDataSet contains
all generic metadata for a dataset which may be COMPLEX. That is it
contains : curation, provenance, identification, characterisation.

Such  a SparseCubeDataset may contain one (simple dataset) or several
(complex dataset) "SparseCubes"

Each of these SparseCube(s) contains ND-points where the actual data are
stored and inherits from the DataProduct class the coordinate systems
and mappings of the data to physical coordinates.

As Mireille said the "/dataproduct_type/ " of your TimeSeriesCube (or
TimeSeriesDataSet) can only be inherited from ObsDataSet through
SparseCube Dataset and not from DataProduct via SparseCube.

Cheers
François