Evolution of SLAP/SSLDM (following recent Trieste discussion).

Carlo Maria Zwölf carlo-maria.zwolf at obspm.fr
Tue Jan 3 11:09:58 CET 2017

Dear DAL,

First of all best wishes for this New Year!

In October 2016, during the third DAL session at the Trieste Interop, we discussed the opportunity of a convergence between the IVOA standards SSLDM/SLAP and the standard produced by the VAMDC community (XSAMS).

A consensus was found between the participants for working on the following aspects:

In a first step, we should work on minimal requirements on the couple SLAP/SSLDM.
Introduction of the file-creation timestamp into each output file produced.
Providing information about the version of the database used for generating the output file (a database may evolve over time and having different versions. For the reproducibility of a scientific procedure, the final user should be informed about the version of data he/she is using).
Providing the references to the scientific sources (in the bibliographic sense) used for compiling the data contained into an output file.
Explicitly define the units used for expressing the energies.

Only in a second further step we may focus on more difficult topics (e.g. a stricter framework for the definition of quantum states and numbers, a unique identification of species).
But for now the priority is only to focus on the minimal requirement listed above.

Nicolas Moreau and myself are going to prepare a draft document for a 1.1 version of those standards. This could be a base for discussion during the spring 2017 Interop.
If you would like to work with us on this document, please feel free to join us.
Best regards,

Carlo and Nicolas

Dr Carlo Maria Zwölf
Observatory of Paris  - PSL Research University
LERMA, UMR8112
Meudon Site, Building Schatzman, 250
5 Place Jules Janssen, 92195 Meudon Cedex, France
Tel: + 33 (0) 1 45 07 74 88