s_region problem

Thomas Boch thomas.boch at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Dec 4 10:57:29 CET 2017

Markus, Felix,

To me, STC-S footprints and MOCs are two different, complementary
objects, and we need both.

STC-S footprints are useful when a client wants to draw the (mostly)
accurate outline of an observation.
MOCs provide a discretization of the coverage. They are great for fast
coverage comparison/intersection/union and to query efficiently a
database for a given coverage on the sky.

Yes, you can algorithmically compute the outline of a MOC (Aladin
Desktop does it). But that will only be an approximation. Plus, the size
(in bytes) of the MOC will be 1 or 2 orders of magnitude greater than
the initial STC-S description.

--
Thomas