ADQL grammar validation

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Tue Apr 18 16:51:01 CEST 2017

Hi DAL,

Progress on developing a method for validating the BNF grammar for ADQL
has been stalled for a while.

Following on from discussions at the ASTERICS meeting in Strasbourg, I
have been reading up on language grammars and BNF. Based on what I
learned I've put together a proposal for how to go about creating a
machine readable language grammar for ADQL.

Short form is :- rather than trying to patch fix the existing BNF
grammar we create a new grammar from scratch, adding each of the
language rules and validating them one at a time.

More detail is available on the project wiki.
https://github.com/ivoa/lyonetia/wiki/BNF-grammar-and-validation

We have found a tool that can validate a BNF (or EBNF) grammar against a
set of examples:
http://bnfparser2.sourceforge.net/

And we have set up a prototype system in a Docker container for
developing and validating a grammar for ADQL:
https://github.com/ivoa/lyonetia/tree/master/src/docker/bnfparser

--------

I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Is this a realistic approach to creating a machine readable grammar for
ADQL ?

Do you have an alternative method you would like to suggest ?

At this stage we would welcome any and all suggestions on how best to
create a machine readable grammar and how to implement the validation
process.

Thanks,
Dave

--------