Running TAP/async jobs immediately: Proposal Text

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Thu Sep 29 10:19:09 CEST 2016

Hi Marco,

Looking at Section 2.2.3.1 of UWS, setting PHASE=RUN at job submission
is explicitly listed as a possibility.  It is just not required.  So
we could change that section to read

  2.2.3.1. Creating a Job

  POSTing a request to the Job List creates a new job (unless the
  service rejects the request). The response when a job is accepted
  must have code 303 "See other" and the Location header of the
  response must point to the created job. The response when the job is
  rejected should be a HTTP 403 Forbidden status style response.

  This initial POST will in most cases carry parameters for the
  protocol that is using the UWS pattern, as detailed in 4 .In
  addition for the initial post may contain job control parameters if
  allowed by the implementing protocol (i.e. if UWS job control
  parameter names do not clash with the implementing protocol
  parameters).

  If the the parameter PHASE=RUN is included as part of the initial
  job submission, the UWS must immediately attempt to start the job as
  in Section 2.2.3.5.

Section 2.2.3.5 is then changed to

  2.2.3.5. Starting a Job

  When a job is initially submitted, including the parameter PHASE=RUN
  instructs the UWS to immediately attempt to start the job.

  Alternately, POSTing the single parameter PHASE=RUN to the
  /{jobs}/{job-id}/phase URI will also instruct the UWS to start the
  job.  The response to this request must have code 303 "See other"
  and the Location header of the response must point to the
  /{jobs}/{job-id} URI so that the client receives the phase that the
  job has been set to. Typically a UWS will put a job into a QUEUED
  state on receipt of this command, but depending on how busy the
  server is, the job might be put almost immediately (and without
  client intervention) into an EXECUTING state.

Cheers,
Walter Landry

p.s. For queries that are usually very fast (e.g. cone searches that
are usually very small), there would typically be a single fetch.