WD-DALI-1.1

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Sep 22 23:17:08 CEST 2016

Dear all,

A little bit late about this.
Le 08/09/2016 18:47, Patrick Dowler a écrit :
> I agree with "only specify what you've tried" but we already do
> serialise polymorphic regions in TAP-1.0 (as well as SIA-2.0 and now
> SODA-2.0) and this simply defines that serialisation via an xtype.
> Now, I certainly would prefer if everyone stopped doing that and used
> xtype="polygon" in their TAP services but not everyone will change and
> clients will have to tolerate both for some time; this just gives
> clients a single place to find DAL xtypes.
>
> Defining an  xtype only defines a serialisation of structured value
> and really only for use in VOTable and it is just ratifying current
> use.
I fully agree with this. and support this change in DALI. May I cite one
of our dear colleagues January 20Th 2016 ? He explained roles of xtypes
like this  much better than I could do and I hope he will not be angry
against me for citing him. ;-)

> The point about having xtypes hanging off
> an existing datatype is exactly that VOTable implementations
> do*not*  have to do something xtype-specific with them.
> Consider a value described thus:
>
>     <PARAM datatype="char" arraysize="19" xtype="iso8601"
>            value="2016-01-20T10:08:25">
>
> A general-purpose VOTable processing library or application
> can perfectly well present the values to downstream software or
> to the user as a string.  Time-aware software meanwhile can work
> out how to convert it to an MJD or whatever.  Software that sees
> an xtype it doesn't recognise can and should just ignore it,
> and treat the data just as it would if it had no xtype
> (though propagate the xtype value downstream where appropriate).
> It's somewhat like a UCD or Utype in this respect, but it's
> orthogonal to that, because it's to do with how to map
> VOTable-friendly primitive datatypes to some other value domain,
> rather than being concerned with semantics as such.  Doing it
> like this protects us from having to constantly update the
> VOTable standard, and hence general-purpose VOTable processing
> software, every time we think of a new value domain that we
> need to transport.  FITS has managed for however many decades
> it is without having to update its type system, and the VOTable
> type system is based on that (I consider this last point a
> good argument, but if you're a FITS-hater, kindly pretend
> I didn't say it).
>

> I think that using DALI as the standard place to look for well-known
> xtypes is an excellent idea, and I look forward to seeing the
> relevant draft.  However, I don't agree on an embargo on non-DALI
> xtype definitions.  Other standards, or even projects or individuals,
> can use their own less-well-known or even private xtypes, but may
> not be able to rely on general purpose software to do anything
> clever when they encouter them.  Such less-well-known xtypes
> do not "make VOTable unimplementable" or otherwise impact
> on the implementability of VOTable itself.
Cheers
François

PS: A beer or whatever drink in Trieste for the author and all people
remembering who he was !!! Paid by the DAL chair !