SODA, section 4.3

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 20:04:21 CET 2016

But my argument is that just like the content of a TD is specified by
the attributes of he FIELD, the content of a value of MAX within a
PARAM is specified by the attributes of the PARAM. When that PARAM has
an datatype, arraysize, xtype, units etc then that should apply to the
values in the MIN and/or MAX. That may not be what was originally
intended, but with the addition of xtype in VOTable-1.2 it is a fair
interpretation to make.

I agree that the xsd doesn't say anything - that is exactly why the
attributes have to.

Pat

On 10 November 2016 at 09:43, Mark Taylor <M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2016, Patrick Dowler wrote:
>
>> Well, the VOTable xsd says that value in MIN/MAX is any string, so
>> interpretation
>> is completely up to the parser or application. I don't see any reason that  any
>
> That in itself is not a persuasive argument.  The XSD does not constrain
> the content of TD elements either, but it doesn't mean that you're
> allowed to put anything in there.  For VOTable the XSD is a useful
> tool for some purposes, but it is not definitive of what is permitted.
>
> --
> Mark Taylor   Astronomical Programmer   Physics, Bristol University, UK
> m.b.taylor at bris.ac.uk +44-117-9288776  http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/

Victoria, BC, Canada