IVOA LSST talk and JSON format for TAP

Thomas Boch thomas.boch at astro.unistra.fr
Fri May 13 10:37:39 CEST 2016

> Hi Brian and DAL.
>
> Our approach matches your minimal version, and we have a client that runs a TAP request in JS, so I see a good case for JSON as an alternative option to VOTable.
> If we were to standardize, I would be cautious of over complicating it and having it lose the simplicity,which is the main reason why we are using it in the first place.
I agree. For outputs which consists in a single table, I'd stick to a
simple minimal approach. I can see the benefit of a 1 to 1 canonical
mapping from VOTable to JSON, but as you say the rather complex object
resulting from this transformation kind of defeats the initial purpose
(simplicity of JSON output).

I have Javascript code which queries Simbad TAP service and retrieve a
JSON output. It would be great if a JSON schema could be suggested so
that every TAP service implementor does not have to reinvent his own
JSON serialization.

Thomas

--
Thomas Boch
Ingénieur de Recherche

   CDS/Observatoire Astronomique   Phone  : 33 (0)3 68 85 24 42
   11, rue de l'Universite         Fax    : 33 (0)3 68 85 24 17
   F-67000 Strasbourg              Email  : thomas.boch at astro.unistra.fr
   France                          http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~boch