DALI 1.1 comments

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 10 16:37:28 CEST 2016

On the ISO-8601 question of the 'Z':

FITS forbids the use of Z, for good reasons.
'Z' is really intended to provide a shorthand timezone designation,
distinguishing UTC from MET, EDT, PDT, etc.
That makes sense in a context where time is measured on the globe,
so, I guess, it makes sense for OAI.
In astronomy we have no use for timezones, but use time stamps
tied to specific time scales, one of which is UTC.
Therefore we do not need the 'Z'.
We do need to be explicit in our specification of time scale and
should attach that label to all our time stamps, implicitly or
explicitly.
Clearly, writing "2016-05-10T14:33:03Z (TDB)" would be insane.
If, therefore, the 'Z' would either be allowed or required for all
UTC time stamps, we would end up with two independent
time scale designations, which is unwise, silly, and dangerous.
Besides, the use of the 'Z' is currently prohibited by STC 1.33,
so allowing or prescribing it would require a change in an existing
standard.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA