DALI 1.1 and Ellipse

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon May 9 16:24:52 CEST 2016

The current STC standard contains the following language in Section 4.5.1.3
on this subject:

Ellipse

The Ellipse (2-dimensional) is similar to the Circle but has, in addition,
a minor radius and a position angle. Position angles are measured following
the definition in Section 4.4.1.2.5 and refer to the first axis. The
definition of an ellipse in a Cartesian coordinate system is unambiguous,
but this is not the case for spherical coordinates. In a spherical
coordinate system the ellipse shall be defined as the intersection of an
elliptical cone with the unit sphere, where the axes and position angle
describe the geometry of the cone.

Which is the second option you mention.
Considering that we have agreed on that in the past, I would suggest that
we stick with that.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA