Proposal for SODA test implementations

Mark Allen mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Mar 3 22:31:50 CET 2016

Dear François,

I would strongly endorse your proposal to have demonstrations of real implementations of the multi-d data standards.

From the CSP point of view we absolutely need to converge on this first set of multi-d data standards and show that they work.

The minimal requirements were set from the scientific priorities for multi-dimensional data access, and this led to a set of standards that needed to be developed to address those requirements. This has been an important way of ensuring that those standards do what is needed and the requirements were used to keep the scope under control.  This worked well for the SIAv2.0, ObsCore and DataLink standards and even though the process has been long, the emergence of serious implementations of these for data cube access is an important success.

I would hope that the Access Data now SODA standard, whose role with respect to the minimal requirements is to enable simple cut-outs, would have the same level of management applied to make it converge. Especially after all of the many difficult and hard won compromises and agreements. As new ideas are proposed, I would expect these to be put into a future version and any features outside the minimal requirements should not impact the process.  These standards must really be allowed to be finalised.

regards,
Mark Allen

Mark Allen
mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr