Cube Data Access Layer implementation note

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:06:09 CET 2016

I understand what is being said about SODA being able to emit a datalink
service descriptor, but let's remember the archietcture diagra, from the
roadmap after the Hawaii interop, here:

http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/2013BRoadmap#Data_Access_Layer

We have renamed some items in there but the landscape is basically the same
and we are working on the most basic part of SODA (accessData "filter").
The solid lines are show the most general case where a provider has all
service capabilities. The dashed lines show possible optimisations with one
being relevant to the current discussion:

*directly go from query to access*: the spec that provides the ability to
do this is the DataLink service descriptor; providers can include SODA
descriptors directly in the output of the data discovery *if* they can
provide ID values in that output that can be used with their SODA
implementation (note: we cannot due to a 1-n relation between publisher_did
and files)

So, you do not need to implement DataLink at all! With a simple collection,
one can have just SIA-query and SODA and satisfy the use cases.

As for the a SODA service being able to emit a service descriptor, the
DataLink spec does make a comment about this (service descriptors with
ID="this"). The issue is that SODA services by-and-large will not be
returning VOTable, so such a request would have to be

ID=<publisher_did>
RESPONSEFORMAT=application/x-votable+xml

I don't think the "content=datalink" would be appropriate because that says
here is a table of links. So, is it a good idea to specify a VOTable output
format for SODA services? Will it be confusing when we try to use SODA for
spectra (timeseries, eventlist) and VOTable is a valid data format?

Is adding a separate endpoint (new capability, new standardID) better?

This sounds somewhat like the metadata capability that we postponed until
after the dot-0 versions of the minimal specs. It seems to me like an
increase in scope and there is too much uncertainty here... so IMO we
should be OK with TAP|SIA -> DataLink -> SODA or the optimised TAP|SIA ->
SODA. If a provider can't do the latter, it is only because you already
need a DataLink service.

my 2c,

Pat

Victoria, BC, Canada