Prototype SODA and DataLink Service Descriptor at CADC

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 01:03:13 CET 2016

I have finally finished and deployed our latest prototype SODA services and
augmented our DataLink service to provide service descriptors to enable use
of SODA. This works spans several services so, following Markus' "gripes"
appoach I will try to separate things into separate messages, but I'll just
make the messages replies to this one so they will be a single thread and I
promise to put the TL;DR at the top of each :-)

So, coming up:

1. description of datalink service descriptor output and soda sync cutout
of a 2D image

2. less wordy description of datalink service descriptor output and soda
sync cutout of a 3D cube

3. description of datalink service descriptor output and soda async
cutout(s) of a 2D image

It is quite a lot to look at, but I would like to point out here that
implementing the whole end-to-end usage forced me to reconsider some
earlier decisions and refine things to make them more clear and more
useful. Although DataLink and SODA are loosely coupled in a technical
sense, they do need to get along and work together and each has some effect
or influence on decisions one takes while implementing the other.

more to follow...

Victoria, BC, Canada