Geometry on SQL server

Theresa Dower dower at stsci.edu
Fri Jan 22 19:58:44 CET 2016

Dave and Gerard,

While the state of the wiki page is mostly true (and I'll update it after responding to this email) ADQL geometry on SQL Server is actually in active development by a MAST developer, Sarah Weissman, and myself. We started with Dave Morris' SqlServer addition to Gregory Mantele's Java parser. We've already added RegTAP string search support, which is in testing. The geometry is still the holdup for ObsTAP.

Brian McLean's spatial functions are closer to the Postgres model than the HTM-based functions we were previously using, and we're going to call those from the parser. Given how far this has drifted from Gregory's original code, and that it calls functions we've added to the database on top of the native SQL Server geometry, we're not quite sure how to share our work, or where, but we'd definitely like to collaborate as possible.

--Theresa