SODA1.0 WD release

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Jan 11 10:47:47 CET 2016

Hi all,
     Thanks for your email, Mark.
On 08/01/2016 23:39, Mark Taylor wrote:
> Hi DAL,
>
> I have one or two comments on the SODA-20151221 WD.
>
> Sec 1.2:
>     The structure/hierarchy of this section looks confusing, or possibly
>     wrong.  It looks to me like everything in section 1 after section
>     1.2 is a "motivating use case", but the document has a section 1.3
>     at the same level as the Motivating Use Cases heading.  Is this
>     spurious?
>
> Sec 1:
>     Most of the use cases in sec 1 are labelled "will be developed
>     and supported in [a later SODA version]".  Does this mean that
>     this version of SODA is only targetted at simple (POS/BAND/TIME/POL)
>     cutouts?  That's fine if so, but it would be helpful to note that
>     fact explicitly (possibly alongside aspirations for future extensions)
>     somewhere in the introduction.  Alternatively, if it can do
>     other things, a non-cutout use case that is supported by the
>     current version could be included.
I think you are right. We have to enhance that this version is targetted
at simple cutouts. The other future motivations have to be clarified in
a specific introduction section .

> DALI and xtypes:
>     sec 3.2.1: "the xtype can take one of the three values 'circle',
>     'range' and 'polygon' as defined in DALI.";
>     sec 3.2.2: "the xtype is 'interval' as defined in DALI."
>
>     The reference in the bibliography is to DALI 1.0,
>     and as far as I can tell, there are no references to
>     xtype in DALI 1.0.  I've heard rumours that DALI 1.1 discusses
>     xtypes, but I haven't seen that text.  If SODA is going to
>     talk about DALI-defined xtypes (and there seem to be rather a
>     lot of them here), it should reference a version of DALI
>     that actually does define them.
DALI 1.1 will be proposed soon by Pat, I guess. But you are right, this
is a problem we have with modularity in DAL. DAL protocols rely on each
other but their development is parallel and not always in phase. This
has two possible drawbacks : either redondancy of text or possible
confusion on where the information is. Will try to fix that.

> arraysize values:
>     sec 3.1.1: "In addition ... its datatype 'char', with arraysize '*'".
>     I don't like mandating arraysize as "*".  There's no reason it
>     shouldn't have an arraysize which is (e.g.) the exact length
>     of the string.  Also, mandating datatype of char may come back
>     to bite us if we do something datatype-dependent to accommodate
>     unicode characters in the future.  I'd be inclined just to say
>     it's a character array.  Similar remarks apply to POL (sec 3.2.4),
>     which could reasonably have arraysize="1".
I am waiting for additional advices on this
> Finally (at least for now), it's not obvious to me from this document
> how to actually use a SODA service.  Possibly that's because I'm
> not familiar enough with Datalink or other associated standards,
> but I may not be the only one...  Presumably (in view of the
> language about xtypes, datatypes and arraysizes) you have to present
> a VOTable to the service including the relevant parameters, but
> it's not clear to me how to go about this.  Can you add a short
> example section illustrating how you'd present a query to a SODA
> service?
Hummm... The basic usage is not by presenting a VOTABLE but by using an
URL with the standard parameters, as HTTP parameters. The description
with VOTABLE attributes is for the "service descriptor", as defined in
DataLink spec, which is indeed a VOTABLE, and can help clients to create
their interfaces on the fly.
An exemple section is surely needed. Moreover, we plan to have an IVOA
implementation note for combining ObstAP or SIAV2, DataLink and SODA in
the general perspective of "Data cube discovery, description and access"

Cheers
François