SODA gripes (3): Explanatory introduction

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Feb 11 12:43:01 CET 2016

Hi James, all
On 11/02/2016 08:36, James.Dempsey at csiro.au wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to add support for having the explanatory text within the SODA document, rather than pushed off to a note. It was only after spending 6+ months implementing IVOA standards that I found the notes at all!
I understand fairly well the need you express. I KNew it had to be done
and I am gratefull to Markus to have made a very good start. But when
you look to what he as actually done it is more a text on how Discovery
services, DataLink and SODA services work together than a SODA
implementation note stricto sensu.

I agree some pure SODA implementation section is usefull in the Spec,
however let me explain why I think it could be  better to have a global
implementation note in addition.
A couple of days ago I tried to explain why DAL WG had strong reasons to
make the development of specifications more modular. I don't think we
can avoid that. But the drawback is cross-referencing of protocols specs
and none of these giving the full view of how it could work. I think we
need this independant document explaining how ObsTap , SIAV2, DataLink,
and SODA can work together. This will give a global view for
implementers of N-D dataset discovery and access services without
looking for explanations in other specs all the time.

    If it is an implementation note another benefit will be that it can
be upgraded each time an individual protocol is upgraded without an
heavy procedure. If we change DataLink or SIAV2c in one year, and SODA
Spec is allready a rec, the implementation section may be a little bit
incomplete, not to say obsolete in some respects.

    So let's discuss a little bit more what we want. I will propose a
note integrating what Markus did.

Cheers
François