SODA gripes (3): Explanatory introduction

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Feb 11 08:06:39 CET 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 05:48:24PM +0100, François Bonnarel wrote:
>      Sorry for not commenting this email earlier.
>      I also think Markus did a very usefull job, with that introduction.
>      I thought something like that was to be done but I would have opted for
> an implementation Note of ObsTAP_or_SIAV2+DataLink+SODA.
>      Because obviously this describes how these protocols work together to
> combine data discovery to access data facilities, more than SODA alone in
> itself. Next version of ObsTAP, SIAV2 and DataLink could refer to the same
> note.

Well, most people interested in the VO moan that there's so terribly
many different documents to read (there once was an impressive
collection sent around by Tom McGlynn on what he needed to parse to
implement TAP).  We should not lightly increase that number.

In that vein, I still feel SODA shouldn't have been ripped out of
Datalink in the first place.  It's been part the proposal of the
service descriptor part of Datalink from the start, and as we have
seen it cannot really be understood without it.

While that ship has sailed (or has it?  Couldn't Datalink 1.1
re-absorb SODA?), let's not make matters worse by further splitting
up the material.  Also, we're talking about two or three pages, and
they'd be required reading for SODA anyhow.

Our implementors will be grateful.

>       On the content itself of this section/note , I would like
>                -   to propose a few changes on some details.
>                -  add a subsection on SODA self-description (which is
> allraedy in the spec. Editor's version)

Are you referring to 2.6.3 here?  If so: Why define a separate
endpoint (capability?) with essentially the same content as a
datalink document?  Even if you have no additional datalinks, telling
people to stereotypically prepend a one-line (or perhaps even empty)
datalink results table would seem much more economical to me.

Cheers,

           Markus