Difference in polygon's between SIA2 and ADQL

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 22:02:28 CET 2016

(this time responding to list)

Either are valid ways to define polygons and I asked about this awhile back
(probably ~Madrid interop). The STC definition requires the vertex sequence
to be counter-clockwise while the other doesn't care but then you need to
compute the winding direction.

So, this was intentional (several geometry libraries I have checked or used
do it this way). Whichever was chosen, someone has to do some work: either
computing the winding direction or converting polygons computed by some
library to the standard winding direction...

I assume "complicates our implementation" means "have to compute the
winding direction and maybe reverse vertex order"?

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Patrick Dowler <pdowler.cadc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Either are valid ways to define polygons and I asked about this awhile
> back (probably ~Madrid interop). The STC definition requires the vertex
> sequence to be counter-clockwise while the other doesn't care but then you
> need to compute the winding direction.
>
> So, this was intentional (several geometry libraries I have checked or
> used do it this way). Whichever was chosen, someone has to do some work:
> either computing the winding direction or converting polygons computed by
> some library to the standard winding direction...
>
> I assume "complicates our implementation" means "have to compute the
> winding direction and maybe reverse vertex order"?
>

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 12:09 AM, Alex Szalay <szalay at jhu.edu> wrote:
>
>> STC is mathematically correct and tested carefully. If SIA2 disagrees, it
>> is most likely incorrect.
>>
>> --Alex

Victoria, BC, Canada